- This event has passed.
WFEO WIE Webinar “Engineering Workforce Capacity Building- to increase diversity and inclusivity in the future skills pipeline”
September 24 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The WFEO Committee on Women in Engineering (WIE) in collaboration with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN), the Federation of African Engineering Organisations (FAEO) and the International Network for Women Engineers and Scientists (INWES) are pleased to invite you to the first webinar of the Women Leadership Series: “Engineering Workforce Capacity Building – to increase diversity and inclusivity in the future skills pipeline” that will be held on 24 September 2021, at 12 pm CEST (Central European Summer Time) / 11 am WAT (West Africa Time).
In the global economy, engineers play a key role in the overall economic development for countries and regions. Unfortunately, the engineering sector is currently experiencing a huge skills gap, which continues to widen yearly. The rapid emergence of Artificial Intelligence, digitization and automation further underscores new and rapidly changing requirements needed in the workplace and the lack of available talent to fill those gaps.
The skills, talents, perspectives and capacities of females, particularly in the engineering and the technical sector, are not adequately mobilized nor optimized to be a part of the critical mass needed to bridge the gaps.
Continuous Capacity Building efforts are expected to address the shortage of some of these skills. However, in order to be effective, the efforts must intrinsically embrace Diversity and Inclusivity, in order to nurture a sustainable future skills pipeline.
The WFEO-WIE, in partnership with various global organizations, is therefore hosting a series of short monthly webinars on various topics around its Theme 1 – Engineering Workforce Capacity Building- to increase diversity and inclusivity in the future skills pipeline. Discussions are expected to stimulate exchange of ideas and examine problems/solutions from a female viewpoint. It is expected that these discussions will serve as a sharing forum and build up the skills and confidence for aspiring and practicing females in the technology space.
Expected Outcomes of the proposed Webinar Series:
- Attract. Retain. Promote. :A diverse and inclusive future generation of engineering technology talent
- Enhance a global network of Women in Engineering. Technology and STEM fields
- Yetunde Holloway, WFEO Women in Engineering Committee Chair
- Leong Wai Yie, WFEO Women in Engineering Committee Theme 1 lead Chair, IET IR4.0 Technical Networks
- Belen Garcia de Pablos, Chair, International Network for Women Engineers and Scientists, Europe
- Funmilola Ojelade, President, Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria
- Alice Cunha da Silva, WFEO Women in Engineering Committee Theme 2 Co-lead
For more information: