Women in Engineering (WIE) is a Standing Committee of the World Federation of Engineering Organizations with the purpose of Empowering Women in Engineering and Technology.–Yetunde Holloway, Chair of WIE (Nigeria)email@example.com
The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) is a national member of the World Federation of Engineering Organizations (WFEO) and has been an active participant in all activities of the WFEO. NSE members have served in various Standing Technical Committees of the organization and have made significant contributions towards the successes of the committees’ activities, as well the achievements of the WFEO.
The Nigerian Society of Engineers, has since the inception of formation of the Women in Engineering (WIE) SC in 2007, after the colloquium held in Tunis, been very active in the committee. NSE is committed to the development of Women in Engineering and has, as one of its most visible divisions in the past 34years, the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria, APWEN.
The Women in Engineering (WiE) Committee is a Policy Implementation Committee of the World Federation of Engineering Organisations (WFEO). The secretariat is being hosted by the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) at the National Engineering Headquarters, Abuja, Nigeria.
Diversity and Inclusion in the engineering and aligned sectors is crucial to addressing many of the challenges that exist in the world today.
The Committee aims to inform debate and use the power of engineering and technology to promote equality of opportunity for all, especially the female gender.
Ensuring the rights of women and girls across all the goals will create sustainable economies that work for all because it is proven that empowering women and girls helps economic growth and development.
To promote equality, diversity and inclusivity in the engineering workforce (with focus on women).
To seek ways to harness the collective power of our group, using technological skills, to achieve an engineering profession which attracts, retains, promotes, and welcomes the inputs of women and other under-represented groups, in order to achieve a sustainable world, that leaves no one behind.
- To create awareness of the importance of the Sustainable Development Goals, especially SDG 5 and how SDG 5 is pivotal to the success of the other goals.
- To support outreach activities, capacity building, training, and empowerment of women to attain leadership positions in engineering.
- To promote and measure gender disaggregated engineering metrics, the results of which can be used to advise policies on equality, diversity and inclusivity in the profession and measure progress.
- To collaboratively empower, inspire, encourage, and share the achievements of women in engineering and technology around the world.
- To collaboratively celebrate World Engineering Day and other events throughout the year (such as International Women’s Day and International Women in Engineering Day) through our own activities and those of our members.
- To encourage women to join in other committees of WFEO and aspire to leadership positions.
- To communicate the work of WFEO and WIE to their own professional engineering organisations.
- To collaborate with other Standing Technical Committees and Policy Implementation Committees to conduct webinars, events and progress the other goals and objectives of WFEO.
- To encourage greater diversity and inclusivity in WFEO.
- To report progress on an annual basis.