As an engineering community, we can make a fundamental contribution to achieve the SDGs, and we have a great responsibility for action. The work of the Committee on Engineering and the Environment (CEE) is aimed at enabling WFEO and the global engineering profession to support the achievement of these goals, addressing in particular SDG13 on Climate Action.–Davide Stronati, Chair of CEE (UK)email@example.com
The Institution of Civil Engineers is delighted to be serving a second term as host of the Committee on Engineering and the Environment (CEE). The committee is now chaired by Davide Stronati, Global Sustainability Leader at Mott MacDonald, and the ICE gives thanks to Dr Jean Venables for her brilliant work as chair between 2015-2019.
As outlined in the Committee’s Strategic Plan for 2019-2023, the CEE’s aim is to enable WFEO and the global engineering profession to support the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals through the development, application, promotion and communication of:
- Environmentally sustainable and accountable engineering practices and technologies;
- The adaptation of infrastructures to the impacts of a changing climate (SDG 13), decreasing resources and increased populations;
- Assessing and promoting engineering practices to mitigate climate change (SDG 13);
- Coordinating perspectives on the engineering required to deliver SDGs 6 on clean water and sanitation, 7 on affordable and clean energy, 9 on industry, innovation and infrastructure and 11 on sustainable cities and communities. This will be delivered by nominating a CEE member representative for each SDGs who will work in coordination and collaboration with the other WFEO Standing Technical Committees;
- Policy frameworks, sets of guidelines and best practice for practicing engineers on responsible environmental stewardship and sustainable and ethical practices in various areas of engineering practice.
As evidenced in these items, the strategy focuses on SDG13 on Climate Action. It is recognised that the SDGs are interlinked and interdependent, in particular SDG13, and therefore four more SDGs are employed to support this work. These are:
- SDG6: Clean Water and Sanitation;
- SDG7: Affordable and Clean Energy;
- SDG9: Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure;
- and SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.
Each of these SDGs are assigned a representative of the CEE who will liaise with the Committees and Working Groups that leads on each of these SDGs. Activities will be carried out by two CEE task groups, Climate Change Adaptation and Climate Change Mitigation.