The WFEO Committee on Women in Engineering (WIE) organized the Virtual CSW66 Parallel Event “Creating Gender Inclusive Engineering & Technology to Address Climate Change” on Monday 21 March 2022.
This year, the theme for the annual Commission on the Status of Women (CSW66) event, organized by UN Women, was Climate Change, and the Women in Engineering Committee of WFEO took the opportunity to take part in this International event to talk about the work that they have been leading at WFEO around the nexus between gender, engineering and climate change. In an event entitled “Creating Gender Inclusive Engineering & Technology to Address Climate Change” all four panel speakers told of their experiences at COP26, as representatives of WFEO or other organizations.
The panel was chaired by Jeanette Southwood of Engineers Canada, and the speakers were Dawn Bonfield (UK), Yvette Ramos (Switzerland), Alice Cunha da Silva (Brazil) – all from the Women in Engineering Committee – and Alba Saray Pérez Terán from Belgium.
Dawn spoke about the work of WFEO and the commitment made to the Action Coalition on Technology and Innovation for Gender Equality; Yvette described her role as founder and president of WOMENVAI, and the changes she has seen as part of her long experience of being a COP attendee; Alice spoke about her role as a member of the COP 26 Nuclear Delivery Team that targets the inclusion of nuclear energy in the discussion on climate change; and Alba spoke about lessons learnt and policy recommendations concerning the integration of gender in the National Energy and Climate Plan (NECP).
The Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) is the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women. The CSW is instrumental in promoting women’s rights, documenting the reality of women’s lives throughout the world, and shaping global standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Jeanette SOUTHWOOD, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Strategic Partnerships, Engineers Canada, WFEO WIE Canada
- Dawn BONFIELD, Visiting Professor, Aston University, WFEO WIE Deputy Chair UK
- Yvette RAMOS, President Swiss Engineering, Geneva, Consultant to the World, Meteorological Organization, WFEO WIE Switzerland
- Alice CUNHA DA SILVA, Nuclear Engineer COP 26 Nuclear Delivery Team, WFEO WIE Brazil
- Alba Saray PÉREZ TERÁN, Climate Change & Innovation Officer at Oxfam Belgium, Member of Belgian Consultative Council on Gender & Development
For more information:
WFEO Committee on Women in Engineering website