The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is an independent, non-governmental international organization with a membership of 167 national standards bodies. Through its members, it brings together experts to share knowledge and develop voluntary, consensus-based, market relevant International Standards that support innovation and provide solutions to global challenges.
WFEO is a Category A Liaison Member of the ISO Technical Committee on the Governance of Organisations (TC-309).
TC-309 was established in November 2016, and confirmed by ISO TMB resolution 141/2016. The Committee works on standards in the field of governance relating to aspects of direction, control and accountability of organizations. The Anti Bribery Standard was also developed by this Committee.
The work of TC-309 contributes to the following UN Sustainable Development Goals:
- SDG 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG 10 Reduced Inequality
- SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities
- SDG 16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
Standards Published by ISO TC-309
The Committee has published a number of standards, including:
- ISO 37000:2021 – Governance of Organizations – Guidance – published 13 September 2021. This was the first ever international benchmark on good governance and is an umbrella standard for the other standards developed by the Committee. standard on Dr Marlene Kanga, WFEO President 2017-2019 has been a member of this working group since November 2018.
- ISO 37002:2021 – Whistleblowing management systems – Guidelines – published 26 July 2021.
- ISO 37001:2016 – Anti-bribery management systems – A practical guide, prepared by WG2, published on 1 June 2021. Dr Marlene Kanga, WFEO President 2017-2019 has been a member of this working group since November 2018.
- ISO 37301:2021 – Compliance Management Systems – published 13 April 2021.
- ISO/IEC TS 17021-13:2021 – Competence requirements for auditing and certification of compliance management systems – published 15 December 2021.
Standards Under Development
Standards currently under development are:
- ISO/NP 37003 Fraud Control Management Systems – Guidance for organizations responding to the risk of fraud (under Working Group 8).
- ISO 37004 Governance Maturity Model (under WG6)
- ISO 37005 Selecting, Creating and Using Indicators: Guidance for Governing Bodies (under WG1) – CD for consultation August-October 2022.
- ISO 37006 Indicators of Effective Organizational Governance: Guidance (under WG1)
- ISO 37007 Corporate Governance – Guidelines for efficiency measurement (under WG5)
- ISO TS 37008 Internal Investigations of Organizations – Guidance (under WG7) – CD for consultation August-October 2022.
- ISO 37009 Conflicts of interest – Guidelines is currently under new work item ballot, until 20th October.
Working Groups, Ad Hoc Groups and Advisory Group Subcommittee/Working
TC-309 has a number of Working Groups and Task Groups that are developing projects for future standards in the scope of work of governance of organisations
|Working Group 1 Guidance for the Governance of Organizations||WG established to develop:
• ISO 37000 Guidance for the Governance of Organizations.
• ISO 37005 Selecting, Creating and Using Indicators – Guidance for Governing Bodies
• ISO 37006 Indicators of Effective Organizational Governance – Guidance
|Working Group 2 Anti-Bribery Management Systems||The WG established to
• Develop ISO 37001 Practical Guide (published June 2021)
• Consider post-publication issues relating to ISO 37001:2016, in cooperation with the TC309 AGCE.
|Working Group 3 Whistleblowing||WG3 established to develop ISO 37002 Whistleblowing Management Systems – Guidelines.|
|Working Group 4 Compliance Management Systems||WG4 established to develop ISO 37301 Compliance management systems – Requirements with guidance for use (replaces ISO 19600, withdrawn).|
|Working Group 5 Guidelines for efficiency measurement||WG5 established to develop ISO 37007 Corporate Governance – guidelines for efficiency measurement|
|Working Group 6 Governance Maturity Model||WG6 established to develop ISO 37004 Governance Maturity Model|
|Working Group 7 Internal Investigations||WG6 established to develop ISO TS 37008 Internal Investigations of Organizations – Guidance|
|Working Group 8 Fraud controls||WG8 established to develop ISO 37003 Fraud Control Management Systems – Guidance for organizations|
|Advisory Group Communications and Engagement (AGCE)||Established to address the communications and engagement issues around its standards, including the development of the ISO/TC 309 website.|
|Chair’s Advisory Group (CAG)||Advisory function to assist TC leadership, planning and steering of TC309’s work, including review of liaisons|
|Developing Countries Co-ordination Group||The DCCG focuses on the current and future standardization needs of developing countries. This includes:
• sharing best practices and resources among TC 309 developing countries to identify their standardization needs and priorities
• exploring possible resourcing partnerships,
• advising on developing country issues on current and future standardization within TC309
• considering sponsorship options available to developing countries to participate in development of TC309 standards
• use of twinning as a means to build capacity and enhance participation.
|Task Group 6 Terminology Co-ordination||TG6 will provide an oversight of how terminology is being used not only in TC309 standards but also in related standards being developed by other committees. Also provides input to the revision to Annex SL High Level Structure.|
|Spanish Translation Task Force||To develop translations of TC309 Standards and other support material.|
The work of TC-309 aligns with the strategic objectives of WFEO to advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals promoting good governance and strong institutions.
Contributed by Dr Marlene Kanga WFEO President 2017-2019.
For more information: