The aim of the Committee on Education in Engineering (CEIE) is to work for the development of the profession and the review of the engineering programs through collaboration with different educational establishments and organizations–education(at)wfeo.org
The Federation of Lebanese Engineers (FLE) served as host of the Committee on Engineering in Education (CEIE), for a four year term from September 2011 till 2015. In 2013, FLE informed the World Federation of Engineering Organizations of its willingness to continue to host this committee for a second term ending in 2019. The Chair and Secretariat of the committee have prepared the strategic plan – available on the left menu – which is a living document that will evolve as the work evolves. From time to time the plan may be amended as the work of the various themes progresses and future opportunities arise.
In the first term, the committee worked on 2 congresses of great interest to the engineering education. The first one was the globalization of engineering education and a congress was hosted by FLE in Beirut, Lebanon on the 24th and 25th of October 2013, and the second congress will be on the sustainability of engineering education, and will be on the 29th and 30th of October 2015 in Beirut, Lebanon. The FLE is organizing the 10th World Congress on Engineering Education with international support from FAE, ASEE, ASCE, ENAEE and FEANI. The organizing committee has send invitations for speakers and good response was achieved. The Universities compose the organizing committee.
We will look in the coming years (starting 2017) for a new host for the 11th Congress in a different region of the World if the second term is approved by the WFEO General Assembly.
The Committee on Education in Engineering will work towards excellence in engineering education. The main issue is to bring the profession into higher levels in research and development and to focus on the issues of accreditation for the mobility of engineering professionals, sustainability and globalization of engineers around the world.
The committee will work on establishing webinars and conferences on the issue of accreditation and will look forward to put the MOU between IEA and WFEO into action in the coming years. This is accomplished by establishing a working group from the executive council, headed by the Vice Chair of the committee.
We will work with regional organizations in developing procedures for setting qualifying exams to engineers starting their practices in their countries and entering the engineering assocoations in their countries. This action started in Lebanon in December 2014.
WFEO encourages all of its international and national members to contribute to global efforts to establish a sustainable, equitable and peaceful world by providing an international perspective and enabling mechanisms:
- To provide information and leadership to the engineering profession on issues of concern to the public or the profession.
- To serve society and to be recognized, by national and international organizations and the public, as a respected and valuable source of advice and guidance on the policies, interests and concerns that relate engineering and technology to the human and natural environment.
- To make information on engineering available to the countries of the world and to facilitate communication between its member nations.
- To foster peace, socioeconomic security and sustainable development among all countries of the world, through the proper application of technology.
- To facilitate relationships between governments, business and people by contributing engineering dimension to discussions on policies and investment.
In partnership with its national members and other WFEO standing committees, the WFEO-CEIE will execute a thematic, results-oriented program for 2015-2019 that:
- Increases the understanding of the international, national, and regional awareness on the impact of globalization in engineering education.
- Pushes the mobility of engineering professionals process through local and international accreditation of engineering programs at universities.
- Gathers and disseminates information and provides recommendations for the accreditation of engineering programs.
- Develops and promulgates appropriate educational programs in the industry/university to keep poverty away from developed nations.
- Engages with the appropriate United Nations agencies, international, non-government organizations and national members of World Federation of Engineering Organizations to provide engineering advice and strategies related to the international accreditation processes.
- Achieves recognition of the role and contributions of WFEO to the engineering profession through publishing the IDEAS journal, a very important and respected journal published by WFEO. The articles in the journal are peer reviewed by 2 professors from recognized universities.
- Works on the issue of sustainability for the wellbeing of the engineering profession.
- Supports the WFEO’s President’s Task Force engaging with the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development to provide the engineering perspective on the current issues;
- Supports and raises WFEO’s profile and participation in the work of UNESCO and OECD as it relates to engineering education.
- Engages with other international bodies like IEA, ABET, ASEE and on projects that support the practice of engineering.
The WFEO–CEIE shall support the WFEO and the engineering profession worldwide by:
- Encouraging and supporting CEIE theme leaders to organize international webinars, workshops and seminars related to their work within the strategic plan.
- Developing and promoting policies, strategies and practices to adapt engineering sustainability.
- Drafting practice guidelines and policies related to engineering education to be approval of the WFEO Executive Council and WFEO members.
- Communicating to the WFEO and the international community on the work of the CEIE.
The CEIE shall produce a Yearly publication called “IDEAS” on yearly basis. The publication focuses on one of the themes in the strategic plan and the theme leader is asked to assist in the coordination of articles for the publication. The FLE will support fully the auditing, printing and distribution of the publication.