Eng Marwan Abdelhamid
Eng. Marwan Abdelhamid is a graduate Civil Engineer from the University of Belgrade; serving as General Secretary of the General Union of Palestinian Engineers (GUPE) in Palestine, he has been devoted to the WFEO for some 40 years as a member of the Executive Council as well as Vice President and was involved in several Committees and task forces. He was awarded three times for outstanding services to the WFEO
He also served also as President of the Federation of Arab Engineers from 1987 to 1989
From 2013 to 2015, he was President of the WFEO, traveling extensively to promote the organization, and increasing notably its membership in Eastern Europe in particular. During and after his tenure, with the support of the WFEO Executive Council, he has developed the concept of “World Engineering Forum” to facilitate cooperation between the private and public sectors in developing the engineering knowledge and practices for Sustainable Development worldwide.
Africa was another priority for Eng. Abdelhamid and in particular, he encouraged the Federation of African Engineering Organizations (FAEO) and other WFEO African national members to sign in December 2013 the Abuja Declaration for a capacity-building program in Africa.
He has held many positions such as:
- Director of Department in the National Company in Algeria,
- Advisor to the Algerian Minister of Housing,
- Member of the Council of Arab Ministers representing Palestine,
- Permanent representative of Palestine in United Nations Organization for Human Settlements,
- Technical Advisor to late President Arafat,
- Deputy Minister of Housing in the Palestinian Authority,
- Ambassador of Palestine to Greece,
- Technical Advisor to President Abbas,
- President of Palestine Mortgage & Housing Corporation and Consultant in Housing Policy and Strategy.
In all these positions, he proved to be a tireless defender of a peaceful solution in the Middle East, in particular through conferences given in the USA, the United Kingdom and other places.
He is as a multicultural citizen, fluent in English, French, Serbian and Arabic, and his deep interest and passion for Sciences and Engineering has influenced his two children respectively serving as doctor urologist and architect.